Thursday, July 30, 2015

Traveling Across the US: Day 2: Chicago

The lesson of day number 2 of my excursion is that weather men are liars and shouldn't ever be listened to. I was going to go to the Cubs game at Wrigley Field that started at 1:20 yesterday, but it was supposed to thunderstorm for at least a good portion of the game. Not perfect baseball weather!


So I called an audible and went on the advice of PPP's @felixpotvin and @phylliskessel13 and did what locals tell people to do: take the Chicago Architecture Foundation tour of Chicago's architecture. I did, in fact, learn a lot about the history of the city and all the interesting design dynamics involved in all the buildings, with future President Trump's apparently the consensus prettiest one in the city.



It takes you all the way out to the border of Lake Michigan and gives you a beautiful view of the skyline if nothing else. I like learning about the history of building design and seeing why things like Art Deco fell out of style for modern design, and this was pretty much all that for an hour and a half. Though, anyone who ever thought modern design was a good idea needs to have their brain exhumed and examined for CTE of some kind. The Sears Tower looks ok, but with many of the buildings they're just black boxes. Not even shiny or anything. Who liked that, especially compared to the Art Deco that came before it?


this vs...

this? Cmon, dogs


Anyways, before I did that yesterday, I went to the Blackhawks' store since it was right next to the river that had the cruise/tour on it. They had signed jerseys in there and a bunch of random stuff, like equipment and fancy displays of shirtseys.



After I went home, I grew a brain and figured out how hostels worked and went to the common room and spent a couple hours with the other people that were there by themselves. There were Canadiens, Americans, Germans, Dutch and a guy from Jordan whose name was pronounced "Awesome." It wasn't super interesting, but hey I at least made my way down there and didn't just sit in my room the whole time. I would've stayed longer but I had to wake up at 4am CT today to make my 7am plane to Austin. And because I was dumb and picked that flight to save a little money, I now have five hours to kill before I can check into my hostel in Austin. Fun.

One of the people I was with last night was still smoking and not sober on the front step of the hostel when I left at 4:30am this morning so at least that was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment