Friday, July 10, 2015

This Week I've Watched: Raging Bull & Best In Show

So these were two movies I expected to love and didn't. I had a good run of picking movies so far, aside from The Guest, but I guess all good things must come to an end.



I fully expected Raging Bull to become one of my favorite movies ever. I love Scorcese and love boxing movies (even if Cinderella Man stunk. Thanks Ron Howard), so I thought this would be perfect.

Except it wasn't really a boxing movie at all. I fully respect and understand why other people love it but with all the #social #justice going on nowadays, I really just didn't enjoy watching it. I know it was really well made and it was normal behavior in the 1940s and 50s, but I just didn't enjoy watching LaMotta beat his wife for absolutely no reason. It's a hell of a character study about one of the most insecure people I've ever seen, but I just didn't like watching it.

I don't really have that much to say about it, honestly. It was objectively good as I expected, but I just didn't like watching a guy beat his wife for 2 hours for no reason.

***

I didn't really like Best In Show either. It felt like one of those movies that I'd like a lot more if I watched it repeatedly on HBO or whatever, but just watching it once left me feeling like I missed half a movie.

We didn't get to spend much time with each set of characters and the movie was only an hour and a half so I didn't think I got enough of each. But this is an objectively terrible opinion too, in all likelihood, because everyone else likes it. I thought Eugene Levy and his wife were funny, but aside from them I didn't really care about anyone else.

But you're reading someone who didn't like Anchorman until he watched it about 50 times, so I feel like that's what would happen if I kept watching Best In Show. Spinal Tap was way funnier on repeated viewings, so that'd probably happen here. I just didn't enjoy watching it the first time though. Again, I just don't have much to say. It just didn't hit with me for whatever reason.

I've liked mockumentary shows and movies before. I love Spinal Tap now, and Parks & Rec was one of my favorite shows before it went full Jamm. The Office was awesome up until season 4 and then went in the toilet, but season 2 was maybe my favorite season of anything non-Wire division ever.

I just didn't like this for whatever reason. Ok I'm going to try to stop justifying it now. Shrug.

***

Here's my new power rankings.

1. Frank
2. Snowpiercer
3. United 93
4. Gone Girl
5. Magic Mike
6. A History of Violence
7. John Wick
8. Raging Bull
9. Best In Show
10. The Guest

No comments:

Post a Comment