Friday, July 3, 2015

This Week I've Watched: Gone Girl, John Wick & A History of Violence

Keep in mind here that I'm just picking movies I should've watched in the past but haven't seen for any reason so that's how you end up with two recent movies and one from 10 years ago. Anyways, they were all really good! I just had nitpicks with all three, that were pretty much my only complaints so they seem worse than they are to me.

Gone Girl

This one was the one that probably grabbed my attention moreso than the other two despite it being an hour longer than either of them. The fact that it was written originally by a woman makes me look at it differently than if, like, Dean Koontz wrote it. This way, it's not a guy who hates women because he thought he was the nice guy or something. It's an actual woman writing about a woman who doesn't represent all women. She just happens to be completely and utterly insane.

Her plan, once it involved her coming back didn't really seem to make much sense to me. If she planned on killing herself eventually to assure that Affleck ended up convicted, why come back and make his life hell? His life would probably have been worse in jail or with a lethal injection of bleach. Now he just has to be married to a crazy woman with a trust fund or risk the media getting on his case for being a bad husband, which he already admitted to.

Maybe Affleck couldn't have proven that Rosamund Pike was crazy and had this master plan, with NPH being dead, but if he just left her after everything calmed down, the media would be mad at him for a hot second but then forget all about him. You don't see them following around Jon Gosselin anymore, do you?

But up until that shaky ending, I thought her plan was fantastic and I really was questioning whether Affleck did it or not. The scenes that ended up being false allowed Fincher to manipulate it enough to where we were doubting the guy we were following.

Anyway, it was really good! The end was kinda shaky, but what can ya do.

John Wick

It was an ordeal to watch John Wick. I was watching via HBO Go and for whatever reason the audio was horrid when I watched it on my TV. The sound effects overwhelmed the dialogue so it was hard to figure out exactly what was going on even if it was pretty self-explanatory. Then my roommate decided to play pots and pans in the kitchen while I was watching 5 feet away. Then the next night, bikers were revving their engines in the Taco Bell parking lot.

Once I finally got to watch it, I thought it was bad ass and awesome, like everyone else who's seen it. I love that Daniels, Lester Freamon and Big Sexy Kevin Nash all showed up in it, with Daniels and Nash having weird accents. Adrianne Palicki will also always get 5 stars from me as well.

Anyway, whenever Keanu didn't talk and just kicked ass, he was amazing, as advertised. As the guy you send to kill the Boogeyman, he didn't disappoint and really looked like a super hero who was still humanized by not being able to detect every threat (thanks, Willem), and only doing this because they killed his beagle.

So, this was really good too! Even if it wasn't an ideal viewing experience.

A History of Violence

This was the one of the three I was most excited to watch, as it was a big hole on my resume. The Bob's Burgers opening Archer scene a couple years ago would've been SO much better if I'd have seen this (even if it was still fantastic).

Up until we found out he really was Joey Cusack and knew he was Joey Cusack, it was fantastic. Him just unconsciously beating the hell out of people whenever there was a threat was awesome and Viggo, even if he hates Pittsburgh, is always awesome when he's not talking and just kicking ass. The mob boss was cool too with his dead eye and Maria Bello's naked like always and still good.

But once we find out that Viggo knew he was Joey, it all went to hell for me. It was just someone running from his past and not really unconsciously destroying people without realizing how he did it. I don't know how they could've wrapped up the movie if he didn't know, but I'm guessing something like he had head injuries and forgot or somehow had his brain wiped would've been more satisfying, personally.

That way, he's still a good guy who just happens to be a good guy as long as he isn't brought up in that environment. But this way, he's just a killer trying to hide it from his wife and kids. Maybe his fighting skills are hereditary as we see with his loser son, but I don't know what that really shows. It's not like his son would have ever been a stone cold killer like his dad. Maybe that just shows that the environment IS what is important as he wouldn't develop and utilize those skills if he wasn't surrounded by what Viggo was surrounded by. I don't know, stream of consciousness and whatnot.

This one was good, but I just didn't really love the ending. It kinda made me dislike Viggo, not that it was bad by any means. I just would've preferred it went in a different direction. Most probably disagree with me but eh.

***

So new power rankings after these 3

1. Frank
2. Snowpiercer
3. Gone Girl
4. A History of Violence
5. John Wick
6. The Guest

No comments:

Post a Comment